WordPress Maintenance & Security Technician
We’re Best-in-Class…Are You?
WordZite is a WordPress security and performance company that has created a best-in-class offering that we believe is superior to all others on earth. We help public companies, private companies and not-for-profits ensure that their WordPress website does not pose a risk to their business or operation. We do this through a mix of hands-on services, 3rd party software, WordPress plugins as well as our own internal best-practices for developing, configuring and managing WordPress websites and the servers they reside on.
We are looking for someone who likes working on both the back-end of WordPress websites as well web servers, DNS control panels, registrars and various 3rd party plugins and software. This role is ideally suited for more of an introverted and highly technical mind that enjoys solving problems and coming up with the BEST solutions and (not just the fastest solutions) to current and future security and performance challenges.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to our CTO, these are the types of things that you would be doing which include but are not limited to:
- Auditing the WordPress websites of new clients and prospective clients to ensure there are no major security risks inherent in the site before we on-board them
- On-boarding new clients’ WordPress websites so that they are abiding by all of our best practices and utilizing all of our security, monitoring and performance systems
- Reviewing logs and alerts for bugs, errors, performance declines, security messages and other messages relating to WordPress performance and security.
- Creating issues to resolve in our client management system.
- Resolving low and mid-level issues.
- Providing written summaries of the cause of issues and how they were resolved.
- Working with our founders to research new threats and solutions in order to maintain our best-in-class offering
What You Know
This is not an entry-level position. You must have experience administering WordPress websites in terms of security. We are not interested in talking to applicants that have just used one or two WordPress plugins and can click the Update buttons in WordPress. You need:
- At least 3 years of experience managing a large number of WordPress websites
- To know the entire WordPress back-end and Admin functionality
- To understand the WordPress default file and folder structure
- Experience troubleshooting and debugging WordPress websites to ensure they maintain functionality
- Experience working with different registrars and web hosts
- Experience backing-up and restoring WordPress websites using more than one method
- Experience moving WordPress websites from one host to another
- Experience working with registrars and DNS control panels
- Experience working with CDNs and WordPress firewalls
- Experience working with caching and compression to optimize WordPress load times
- Experience working with Google Search Console
Nice to Have’s
We’ll consider applicants that have additional skills but we are not looking for back-end developers or coders who need additional work. So, knowing other programming languages isn’t as interesting to us as the following:
- Experience recovering a hacked WordPress website is a HUGE asset
- Formal certification or training from BCIT or another technical institution
- Experience working at or owning a digital agency is a huge asset
- Experience working with website malware and anti-virus software is an asset
- Familiarity with WordPress security plugins is an asset
- Familiarity with 3rd party file and database monitoring tools is an asset
- An understanding of privacy and personal information policies as related to managing WordPress websites is an asset
- A passion for monitoring and preventing cyber threats
- Experience using project management and ticketing systems to track and log work
- Willingness to work odd hours in order to meet client expectations
- Residency in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia (we may hire outside of this area if no local candidates can be found)
- You absolutely must be located in a North American time zone
- Willingness to get a criminal record check done by the RCMP
- Your own PC or Mac (laptop/tablet)
- But also be willing to work using a PC or laptop that we provide
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to write and speak in English (English does not have to be your first language)
- Ability to create plans and summarize work completed to superiors
- Strong time management, follow up, and organization skills
This is a highly technical role for someone with the passion and experience to help us deliver the absolute best WordPress security offering on earth. This role will begin part-time but will progress into a full time position as we grow. We’ll pay you a fair hourly rate based on your skills and experience.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]